Formation and early years
A well attended meeting of delegates from many clay pigeon clubs was held on Friday 8th July 1927 in Jury’s Hotel, Dublin to form an All-Ireland Clay Pigeon Shooting Association.
The meeting was chaired by Mr Noel W Taylor of the Dublin Metropolitan Gun Club (D.M.G.C) and amongst those present were Mr W. Hunt (Munster GC), Mr J. McDermott (Maynooth GC), Mr C. F. Crowley (Ballina GC), Mr E. Doyle (Baltinglass GC), Mr A. McDonogh (Charleville GC), and Dr. F Kane (Rogerstown GC).
Mr James Johnston was elected as the Honorary Secretary and after lengthy discussions it was decided to establish an executive committee and to entrust DMGC with the drawing up of the Articles of Association, following which, the meeting was adjourned until later in the year when the Articles of Association would be presented and finalized.
On Saturday 17th September 1927 a second meeting was held at Jury’s Hotel. This meeting was also well attended and was chaired by Mr W. H. Cobbe (Mountmellick GC). The objective of the meeting was to endorse the decision arrived at on 8th July to form an All-Ireland Association. The Articles of Association plus the draft rules, as drawn up by the Dublin Metropolitan Gun Club, were adopted with some minor alterations and copies were issued to all participating clubs.
An initial committee was elected where in addition to Mr James Johnston as Honorary Secretary, Mr W. Boydell (Ticknock GC) was elected as Honorary Treasurer, with Mr N. Taylor and Mr D. Stewart (DMGC) also on the committee.
The affiliation fee was set at £3-3s-0d.
Letters of support approving the aims and activities of the new association from clubs who were unable to attend on the night were read out and these included Ballintotty GC (Nenagh) and Ballinhinch GC.
A fixtures table was drawn up for 1928 covering the months from March to October, which was then considered the Clay Bird shooting season.